Cookies

Thursday 1 December 2016

Top Ten Christmas Films







It's the first of December so of course the first of my Christmas-related blog posts for this year! I thought I'd start with a fun one (not that they're not all fun lol) that will hopefully get you into the spirit if you're not already so. Also how cute is my festive header for the month? For my first Christmas post I thought I would round up my top ten Christmas films:


Disney Christmas sing along songs

  
via GIPHY

 I've mentioned this before in my Top Ten Disney Films post, but I had to include it in my Christmas favourites, because it's the film that makes me most excited for Christmas. As a video gifted to me by Father Christmas, in this day and age of technology I now have to make do with the YouTube videos because there doesn't seem to be a DVD of it existing anywhere. There's two separate 'episodes', Very Merry Christmas Songs and The Twelve Days of Christmas which is a mix of animation and live action. I'm actually really surprised that the video still works (my parents still have a DVD/Video player) because I would watch this on repeat not only in December but the rest of the year too! If you want to have a little sing song and are a massive fan of Disney, have a look for these on YouTube!

Elf

 
via GIPHY

 Just looking through the gifs for Elf made me crack up. I only saw this first time in my first year, but it's become a firm favourite ever since. It's one of those films that both children and adults can enjoy and will make you feel all festive whilst having a lot a laughs at the same time!


Love Actually

 
via GIPHY

 I finally, FINALLY, got Tom to watch Love Actually for the first time this year and he liked it a lot more than he thought he would, and I think he would go so far as to say he enjoyed it and would watch it again. I think watching it with someone who hadn't seen it before just made me appreciate it even more and the acting is gold. We both agreed that Jamie and Aurelia are our favourite couple, and it's the bit when you realise that he's learnt Spanish so he can speak to her, and she's learnt English so she can speak to him, and ahh the feels <3.

Scrooge


via GIPHY

 This gif doesn't actually represent the Scrooge I'm talking about, but as my favourite is the 1951 Alastair Sim version we'll forgive the lack of gifs for this film, and just admire the Disney version (which is also a good film!). I had a tradition as a child where I would go round to my Grandparents flat and help my nanna put up the Christmas tree, and once decorated we would sit down with my Grandad to watch Scrooge. There's a few Christmas films that I specifically have to watch in December and this is one of them as it doesn't feel right otherwise!

Santa Clause


via GIPHY

 A father becoming Santa Claus. Tim Allen. An elf named Bernard. Need I say more?

Santa Claus


via GIPHY

 No I haven't made a typo and put the same film twice, this is a different film! This is another film that I watched a lot as a child (again we had the video) and is about how Father Christmas became who he is. The first half of the film is classically magical, and then the second half goes a bit weird with an elf travelling to New York, but it's still good and I recommend it highly. If you haven't been able to tell already, a massive part of Christmas for me was Father Christmas and I think that's why I love the films about him so much!

A Charlie Brown Christmas


via GIPHY

 This is another film that I have been relegated to watching on YouTube as I can't find a DVD that can be watched outside of the states. This was never a film that was mine, but rather it's one that my parents always watch a day or two before Christmas, and for that reason it's one of my favourites because it's always been a part of Christmas for me.

The Muppet Christmas Carol


via GIPHY

 I know I said that the Alastair Sim Scrooge is my favourite Christmas Carol, and it is, but I don't put that version and the muppet version on the same level. The muppets version is very funny plus the songs in it means that every now and then Kermit singing pops up in my Christmas playlist! I only saw this after watching Batman and viewing Michael Caine as Alfred, but I soon got used to him as the figure of Scrooge frolicking about with muppets, and it's a great light hearted version of A Christmas Carol.

The Holiday


via GIPHY

 The Holiday is another one that I only saw for the first time a couple of years ago, but after watching it I was like 'Why have I never seen this before?!'. It's a bit strange having Jack Black as a love interest and is something I still have to get used to watching as for me he will always be Mr S from School of Rock. Aside from the good feeling love stories and the beautiful man that is Jude Law, my favourite character and story in the film is Arthur's. I won't ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it, but Arthur is just the cutest so you should go watch it.

Friends - The One With the Holiday Armadillo

via GIPHY

 Now I know this isn't actually a film, but I have this episode on a 'Best of Friends Christmas' DVD so thought I could throw it in here. There's a lot of classic Friends Christmas episodes, but I think my favourite has to be the one with the holiday armadillo because of how much it cracks me up every time I watch it. I mean just look at Ross as an armadillo.

Tom and I started watching our collection of Christmas films about three weeks ago and still have another 15 to go, and a lot of my favourites we still have to watch which I am excited about! Rather than choosing which one we want to watch, I put the names of all the films in a bowl and when we want to watch one we pick one out of there. I've really enjoyed doing it this way as you don't know what you'll be watching next!

What are your favourite Christmas films? Any you think I should add to my list?

Jess x 
Share:

1 comment

  1. Love all the Tim Allen Santa films, alistair sims as Scrooge, vicar of dibley Xmas special where Hugo and Alice have a baby for real, all fools and horses Christmas specials. From my childhood I always remember watching the goodies on Christmas Eve and the Disney clips. Looking at your list here brought back so many memories, nice ones, made me shed a tear or two πŸŽ…πŸΌπŸŽ…πŸΌ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete

© jesslouisekeen | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig