Cookies

Tuesday 29 August 2017

Living Without a Phone for 195 hours


  So last week I accidentally dropped my phone and to cut a long story short it ended up with me being without a phone for 1 week and 1 day - 195 hours to be exact - until the nice man at apple replaced it for me. Those who have been reading my blog for a LONG time might remember my Digital Detox post; it's safe to say that I have not kept up the detox and that I really noticed the lack of phone in my life.
 As soon as I had left my phone,  I genuinely felt a bit of anxiety over the fact that my line to the outside world had been taken away and that I didn't know how long it would be for. I never realised how dependent I actually am upon my phone. I think aside from the fact that I suddenly couldn't contact anyone - this became difficult when I was trying to arrange to meet with friends for lunch and couldn't say 'on my way' or 'where are you' - it was that I couldn't listen to my music in the car or on the walk to work/walk home and both Tom and I missed listening to the Harry Potter audiobooks at bedtime. It also made me realise how many photos I take throughout the week and I had also just reached a full year of completing my 1 second a day video.
 This sounds like such a minor problem and I know there are so many more important things going on in the world, but I wanted to write this post more to just share my thoughts on realising how reliant I am on my phone and on technology as a whole. I think having grown up with the rapid expansion of technology and social media throughout my teenage years - part of me is thankful it wasn't prominent in my childhood and that I have the memory of dial up - has had an effect on me as for the last ten years it's been a part of my life. It's so strange to think that children today will not know a life without social media and that the technology will just keep expanding. I think it's amazing what we can do and I have no idea what we'll be able to do in another ten years time.
 After a few days I had gotten used to not having a phone and having to rely on Tom setting my alarm in the morning. I was relieved to finally get a phone back but not having a phone did mean that I did a lot more scrapbooking and I started a bullet journal (of which I shall be doing a dedicated post on very soon!) The experience has taught me to be more aware about how much I use technology and how reliant I am on it and to not drop my phone again (!!!)

Jess x
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© jesslouisekeen | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig