Cookies

Saturday 29 October 2016

Halloween Biscuits


 Hello!

Halloween is just a couple of days away, and who needs a better excuse to get baking? I'm not going to be winning any prizes for the best decorated biscuits, but that's all the fun of home baking. These are quick to make and taste good despite their somewhat shoddy decoration, and have gone down well so I thought I would share the recipe with you!


You will need:
Halloween biscuit cutter (I used a bat- although I'm not sure how 'bat-like' it actually turned out to be)
100g unsalted butter
100g caster sugar
1 egg
275g flour
1tsp vanilla extract
Icing sugar
Water
Food colouring (I had mainly black bat biscuits but used a bit of orange too!)

Heat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 6
Cut out a sheet of greaseproof paper and place on your baking tray.

Beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl until combined.
To this, beat in the egg and vanilla a bit at a time, and if it starts to look like it is curdling, add in a bit of your flour whilst combining. Once combined stir in the flour until it forms a dough.
I haven't made biscuits in a good few years since I used to 'help' my mum (I don't know how much help I actually was!) but I found the best way to incorporate the flour was to both stir and press the flour in with a wooden spoon. It may seem like it's not coming together, but after a bit of perseverance it will!



Roll out your dough onto a floured surface until roughly 1cm thick and taking your cutter, get cutting those biscuits! You can take the bits left over and roll them out once more, but any after that and they become a bit too overworked. 
Place your biscuits on your prepared tray and place in the oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Set aside for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool.



You can either leave the biscuits here, or get decorating!
To decorate I mixed some icing sugar with water in a bowl, and then added a few drops of food colouring. The fact there was more black was more of a result of the fact that I put too much water in with the icing sugar, and had to add more icing sugar in (oops)
I tried to follow the middle of the design, but with some I covered the whole biscuit and I think I actually prefer the whole biscuit way! 


They might not win any prizes but they were fun to make and taste good so why not have a go yourself. As ever please let me know if you have a go! 

Jess x
Share:

1 comment

  1. We always made loads of Christmas biscuits and iced with all sorts πŸ‘»πŸ‘»πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸŽ…πŸΌπŸŽ…πŸΌπŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜

    ReplyDelete

© jesslouisekeen | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig